IMU placement into a car

Hello

We are thinking about acquiring one of your units, specifically the OpenIMU300ZI

The idea is to use it as magnetic heading and attitude indicator on ultralight, fiberglass, all-metal, wood, or mixed aircraft.

We are currently testing with other sensors on the market, such as the bno080, mpu9250, RM3100, among others, and we are having problems due to interference with the magnetometer. It is impossible get a steady, but out the car is steady and accurate.

At the moment we are testing in a car.

We have tested with the engine on and off, in the center of the car and in the back seat, all this calibrating the magnetometers and other sensors in the car with the corresponding settings.

We want to buy your system for two reasons, the first one being stability against acceleration, braking and cornering. In the systems we are testing, the kalman filters that we use the filter interpret that I go with the nose up, when this is not the case, the same thing happens in other situations.

On the other hand, we are interested in the interferences of the magnetometer by the electronics and the motor.

Can you assure us that this that we have tried to describe does not happen with your module?
What is the optimal location for the module?What are the possible ones?Where have they tried it?
On the other hand, is there a possibility to connect with Arduino?

Thank you and congratulations on the project. Sorry for the english...

There is one simple principle when you want to use a magnetometer in your application: there should be no varying magnetic interference.
Varying magnetic interference includes:

1. hard iron. For example, a moving magnet, a chaning current around the sensor;
  2. soft iron. For example, a moving steel.
  3. Environmental magnetic field change. For example, moving the sensor for one location to another which has a different magnetic north from the first location.

@Dong-xiaoguang said in IMU placement into a car:

hard iron. For example, a moving magnet, a chaning current around the sensor;
soft iron. For example, a moving steel.
Environmental magnetic field change. For example, moving the sensor for one location to another which has a different magnetic north from the first location.

Thank you for your commnets, I've tried it without succes, but I'm more interested in the Aceinna hardware because I'm in doubt about buy it. My main questions are:

@Jose said in IMU placement into a car:

Can you assure us that this that we have tried to describe does not happen with your module?
What is the optimal location for the module?What are the possible ones?Where have they tried it?

Best regards, Jose

@Jose said in IMU placement into a car:

If you mean magnetic interferences, we will have the same problem.
If you mean pitch/roll error increase duration acceleration or braking, we have this into consideration in our algorithm. However, there will still be error increase. You need to test it to see if it meets your requirements.

For magnetic sensor, you need to put it aways from changing interferences.
You should also put it at a location with less vibration.

We have SPI and UART in OpenIMU300ZI. You need to prepare the driver for Arduino.