magnetic calibration process message (ma) documentation

I'm reading the INS app code, and found the magnetic calibration process message ("ma"). I was going to look into the various parameters, but can't find the ProcessMagAlignCmds function definition.

Is there a part of the firmware that is closed ? I'm not asking because I'd have a problem with it, rather for my understanding. If it is, is there a documentation of the "ma" message ?

The mag alignment process will be fully available in the next upcoming release. Documentation will be available online and Aceinna Navigation Studio will include support for mag alignment process.

in the next upcoming release

Any ETA on this one ?

This is ... both unexpected and a little bit off-putting. The mag alignment process is part of the public documentation:

https://openimu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/mags.html from today (7/08/2019). Was already there 3 months ago at least

"Currently, this is primarily for Magnetic Alignment also referred to as Compass Calibration, or Hard/Soft Iron Calibration."

That it's actually not available is pretty discouraging. I now wonder what else is there that I thought would be available, but actually "will be available later ?"

I too would like to know how to calibrate the compass as the headings on my device are off.

@simon-rob The mag-align function has not been updated with compass firmware yet, mag-align function only be added in VG-AHRS firmware currently, the bin file downloading link: https://developers.aceinna.com/code/apps.

@simon-rob you mean heading is off, is it no heading angle available in you IMU? which FW you used? pls check your FW version and change to a2 packet, like below pic, check whether it has heading or not:
ee7ceb3e-0ce6-4121-bcaa-8adeab99b856-image.png

@Li YiFan thanks for pointing out the the VG-AHRS app now has mag-align. I managed to get get better alignment after a few attempts.

The mag-align process doesn't seemed to like being run in succession, I had to disconnect between attempts. Also my unit is in -X+Y-Z orientation (set in unit settings) does the align algo cope with non default orientations?

Thanks,
Simon

You are welcome. You could change the orientantion and finished the mag align, but note just following one rule in mag align process: rotate around Z axis.