Can program unit, but then it won't communicate

I have the OpenIMU300ZI EVK. It has been working fine for a few days, then stopped outputting packets.

I tried to re-upload the INS bin from the developer center web app. The % progress went up to 100, looking like it was programming it correctly, then it said it failed and to contact support.

I reflashed it with the backed up firmware I saved using the ST-Link. This worked Ok, but the unit was still not outputting anything over the FTDI serial port. Tried to re-flash the INS bin, and same result as before.

I tried debugging from platformio, and it can upload via ST-Link and I can step through the execution. But I get nothing out of the FTDI serial ports.

After uploading a new BIN from the web app, the device no longer gets detected by the webserver app which connects it to the developer center. After re-flashing with the original firmware via ST Link this does work, then fails after uploading a new BIN. Hope that makes sense

I tried the recovery tool as mentioned in this post:

Annotation 2021-04-16 143637.png

I previously ran the packet output at 20hz, and after turning the device on the LED would flicker. It no longer does.

Unfortunately this project is on a tight timeframe, so I need to know as soon as possible if this unit is faulty so I can order a new one. Please advise.

Thank you

Note I also see this in dmesg after the device is plugged into a linux host. Note the first line:

[ 199.730435] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: error from flowcontrol urb
[ 199.737459] ftdi_sio ttyUSB0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB0
[ 199.737669] ftdi_sio 1-1.3:1.0: device disconnected
[ 199.739185] ftdi_sio ttyUSB1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB1
[ 199.739317] ftdi_sio 1-1.3:1.1: device disconnected
[ 199.741012] ftdi_sio ttyUSB2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB2
[ 199.741156] ftdi_sio 1-1.3:1.2: device disconnected
[ 199.742678] ftdi_sio ttyUSB3: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now disconnected from ttyUSB3
[ 199.742864] ftdi_sio 1-1.3:1.3: device disconnected

Luke, there are some suggestions.

  1. Flash the backed up firmware to the device with ST-Link again.

  2. Modify the packet rate, we think the packet rate may changed to 0Hz.
    a) Connect device with python driver
    b) Update the packet rate on page.

  3. If there is still no packet data output, please leave the serial number of the device, we will try to send the whole bin to you.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it, but even though there is packet output after re-flashing with the ST-Link the original memory dump, after uploading a new .bin (INS app), it no longer can connect to the webserver process.

The serial number for this unit is 1908400050

Sorry to nag, but I'm evaluating this for a project which is on a relatively short timeframe.

Could you please let us know how long it is likely to take to respond to this issue and send through a replacement binary?

  1. Which INS app you are using? Is it from our official release?
  2. If the INS app is developed by you, could share it to public in app center?

If the INS app is developed by you ,is there any data output when you use a serial port debugging assistant tool?
You could also try to send command 'pG' in a serial port debugging tool to confirm if the device could response its device info.
The hex command is 0x55 0x55 0x70 0x47 0x00 0x5D 0x5F

If there is no response, you should check the source code.

hi, Luck, pls upload the prepared BIN for you. which is already upgrade to INS app.
pls refer steps to unlock you 0&2 sectors, recover the BIN, then lock the sectors again, steps of 4. How to backup and upload.
1908400050_OpenIMU300ZI EVK_Flash_latesFW4.1.2_3.1.8_0X100000_INS_230400_100hz.bin
wait your feedback.

Using ST-Link, the new bin you sent through will not connect to the webserver process.

Note that if I flash the bin which I backed up after receiving the unit, it does connect to the webserver, however when I then flash the (aceinna developed / official) INS (or other) application through the web interface, after which it becomes unresponsive until I flash the backup firmware again.

I am only trying to use official release binaries at this stage.

The INS app may take more time than other apps while connecting, and to make the connecting more fast, it is better to assign startup parameters when you use webserver.

The command looks like as below,
.\Webserver_Win32_2.3.2.exe -b {baudrate} -c {com port}

Please also try to send pG command with a serial port debug tool to make sure the device can response its device info.

I have tried all the public/official apps, and after flashing via the web interface the unit is no longer responsive.

I tried hard coding baudrate and UART device, but it makes no difference.

After flasing, sending 0x55 0x55 0x70 0x47 0x00 0x5D 0x5F has no response

Here is screenshot with the new bin.

I purchased a new unit, and tried swapping the green circuit board over to the old one. It made no difference, so the issue is in the IMU unit itself.

Please advise how I should go about returning the faulty one for replacement.


Please advise how I should go about returning the faulty one for replacement

Log in to reply